Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Lessons from 15th Street

My oldest child, Corey, is heading off to college in the fall.  College!  Wash U in St. Louis.  I work on a college campus so I'm  well aware of how college students look these days.  And now one of my own will join those ranks.  I'm thrilled, we're thrilled, but at base there's this simple element of shock that Corey is there.   Because sometimes I still feel like that just happened to me.   So college and aging and parenting are on  my mind continually these days, and this past weekend was my 25th reunion at UVA, which I did not attend.  I did, however, participate in a poignant and hilarious exchange of emails with my three roomies that brought us all right back to 1985.        

Last week I sent the link about my blog off to Annette, my roommate for all three years in C'ville (third year I spent in Florence).  She sent me this lovely reply:

Hi Jane,
Just the other day Josh said to me, "it's really important to you that we sit down 
to dinner together isn't it? did you do that growing up?" 
So I told him, and I wanted to tell you, that your cooking for us almost every night
second year and having that time to eat and talk--that's what imprinted the value 
and desire on me, not my childhood experience! 
Just a little thing you did that has continued to affect me and our family on a daily basis.
Love,
Annette

Made my day!!The weird thing about it is, I don't really remember cooking every night. What a weirdo!
I do remember eating together a lot in that kitchen (huge kitchen for a tiny apt) and that I 
I was the only one who sort of knew how to grocery shop for a group.  By the time I was a senior 
in high school  I think I was doing most of the grocery shopping for  my mom.  She was sick of it, 
which I get, and I loved the freedom of heading to Stew Leonard's with a list and my mom's credit card.
 The freedom!! The power in getting the exact snacks I  wanted!  For a fifth child this was epic. 
So I just sort of picked  that back up when,  a couple years later,  four of us found ourselves in an 
apartment, off the meal plan, and somewhat bewildered.  I guess I stepped  into the void. 
Here are some descriptions I solicited this week:


Annette:
Maybe Laura and rebecca can weigh in on the experience of Jane cooking/knives
and food flying/voila there's dinner! I think we were all a little in
awe because none of us could have done it night after night, especially
not at that speed. :) Then there was coffee and rising sun bakery
cookies and jeopardy!  A happy-making memory.
 
Laura:
I remember lasagna, and impossible taco pie and lots of salads and
chocolate chip cookies and Jane cooking like some collegiate Siva with all
the arms flying around. And us sitting at those blue IKEA chairs like good
little children waiting for dinner to be ready and talking about our day.
For me, it was a little slice of home. 

Annnette again:
Main dishes are a little vague for me, but I know there was always a LOT. yes on 
the salads and also garlic bread. I think I first had hummus and tabouli and 
pita in that apartment. I would often crash after afternoon classes and wake up 
early evening to the sound of pots and pans rattling and soon yummy smells from 
the kitchen. I remember grocery shopping at giant (that store recently closed). 
It was also a good example of division of labor since the non-cookers 
were the cleaner-uppers.  oh and don't forget Yahtzee at that table.  I do remember 
rebecca making something wrapped in bacon and also tempura once. And was that 
the year of lobster bisque on my bday?  
 
Rebecca:
I dont really remember much from 2d year except cooking dinner in the apartment 
for the celeb Paris Themmin aka Mike Tv. I cant recall what we made.  

Laura's childhood friend -also Mike TV


I responded that I didn't remember what we made for Mike TV,
either, but I remember buying like ten types of cheese at Giant
and that I had a picture.
And here it is.
 
 
And a couple others for fun from those days on 15th street. 
 
I simply have no idea
 
Indoor S'mores - now that's a good idea


 
soooooooooooooooooo  I know this is supposed to be a blog about food! 

Or maybe today it's about something else:  maybe the point today is to tell Corey that, 
despite the nerves about the uncertainty that lies ahead, she is truly starting her own
life, and she is ready.  And that it's never too early to establish traditions, 
that you never know what the effect of your actions will be. And that in healthy 
relationships we all divide the labor and find our roles - someone cooks, someone shops, 
someone cleans.  And that your college  friends might still be making you laugh 30 years 
later. And that I hope she stretches and learns and grows and laughs.
And I hope she takes time out of each day to sit and talk with her friends over a meal, 
and that that reminds her of home.

 








 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment