Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Leftover Mash

Leftovers.  I love them.  I rely on them.  Even during the school year, when I have to make lunches for my people in the morning, I assiduously avoid making myself a sandwich unless I'm truly desperate.  It's just not my thing.  But a big plate of yummy leftovers in the middle of my work day?  Now we're talking.

At the end of last week I bought a rotisserie-type chicken at the local market for Doug and the kids, as I was heading out that night.  There was a lot of leftover chicken so on the menu Monday was my favorite leftover dish:  mash.  This ingenious creation came years ago care of my lovely sister, Julie.  We had a family reunion in Phelps (Northern Wisconsin)  years ago and had many fantastic, huge meals, which produced loads of lefties.  Julie disappeared into the kitchen one day and produced an amazing lunch using just about everything in the fridge.   It's been a leftover staple for me ever since. 






First you start with a box.  Sacrilege, I know, but you just have to get over yourself and buy a box of Zatarain's rice mix.  I usually have a box of their jambalaya or dirty rice on hand for joyful occasions such as this.  Make it as if you were making the jambalaya, which means using less water and adding a can of crushed tomatoes.  When it's just done, toss in a couple cups of frozen corn kernels.  Or, if it's summer and yummy, cook up some corn on the cob and then cut it off the cob and toss into the pan.







Next, you chop up a million vegetables,  but the key ones are red onion, red pepper and tons and tons and tons of cilantro. 

 I had four zucchini in danger of going bad so I chopped them, tossed them with olive oil and s&p and roasted them for about 15 minutes in the oven, then added them to the pile.

Then add your leftover meat and any other veggies you want to steam/roast/sautee. 
The more the better.  Throw it all in a bowl.


And then?  Toss in a whole jar of salsa, add loads of hot sauce if you're so inclined (we are), add the cooked rice and here's what you get to eat:


 Mash. YUM.   The only problem with this week's mash?  There were no leftovers.




For the rest of the week:
grilled chicken with chimichurri sauce, rice & roasted asparagus
Summer Steak Salad
burgers, fruit & chips
Salmon Cakes & arugula salad



For the chimichurri sauce - from Melissa D'Arabian 10 Dollar Dinners- SO GOOD
 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
Place the cilantro, parsley, onion, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Slowly pour in the olive oil and process until the chimichurri is semi-smooth, about 4 seconds. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

1 comment:

  1. At first I wasn't sure with the Zatarain's rice but just mig have to try this! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete