Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Sunday Funday

Sunny, crisp fall Sundays fill me with joy.   Sundays, as I've blogged before, are just so packed with memories for me.  Opera and omelettes and football or golf - it's the Sunday soundtrack of my childhood.  I love perpetuating those sounds and smells and, for me, having a Bears game on while prepping some hearty meals is a little slice of October heaven.   This Sunday, while Dylan and I watched an incredibly exciting and devastating Bears game, I got to work.

This  week's menu:  Caldo Verde and a giant vat of homemade spaghetti sauce.

Caldo Verde is one of my favorite soups and it's awesome in the fall - packed with yumminess like kale and potatoes & sausage.  This time I used turkey sausage but any type of cooked sausage will do.
 Head up about 3Tbsp olive oil

sautee 2 large chopped onions and about 3 cloves chopped garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes on med-high

 thinly slice two large russet potatoes. 
I LOVE my mandolin. Thanks, Christy!
Add the potatoes and sautee under med-high heat for two minutes, stirring constantly.
  Meanwhile, prep a bunch of kale. 
  Wash it, remove the tough spine (fold each piece in half and just cut it off,) then thinly slice the pile of leaves.  set aside.
 Add 6 cups chicken broth or stock to the onion/potato situation.  (You could use vegetable stock and faux-sausage if you roll that way.)  Cover and reduce to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
At this point you can use a hand blender and pulverize the potatoes, if you like the soup more like a bisque, or just leave it as is, with the potatoes still somewhat intact but soft.

 MEANWHILE, back at the ranch, get yourself about a pound of cooked sausage.  You can get kielbasa or andouille or just cook up some turkey sausage, as I did here. 
Thinly slice the cooked sausage & add it to the soup, then let it heat to temperature, about 5 minutes. 
Then add the whole pile of kale you've cut into small ribbons/strips, stir into the soup and let it heat until kale wilts, about two minutes.  IT'S SO GOOD!

Next, I made a gigantic pot of my favorite spaghetti sauce. 
 Cook up 1 lb ground beef, 1lb spicy pork sausage, 2 tsp chopped garlic and two chopped onions until meat is cooked up and sausage is broken up into small pieces.
 Drain the disgusting fat.  Give some to your doggie he/she will adore you.
 Add all the things:
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 large can tomato paste
1 can beef broth
1 lg can crushed tomatoes
1 lg can whole tomatoes, broken up by hand
fill one of the large cans with water to rinse out and pour that into the mix.
 simmer forever and ever.  Add a couple tablespoons chopped fresh parsley.
 ahhhhhhh, Sunday.
 my football watching buddy. One needs support when watching a loss like this one.
Then?  If you're really, really lucky, you get to invite over your friend Lindsay's two adorable sons Milo & Archie, aged 3&5, for dinner.   

 How lucky am I? 



No comments:

Post a Comment