Thursday, October 26, 2017

quiche-o-rama

Have I mentioned that I love my family?  I do. I was born into a bevy of babes who are a)supportive b)fun c)fierce and d)great freaking writers.  The volume of daily emails is staggering and sometimes overwhelming.  Take yesterday, for example.  Ellie put out the innocent and altogether reasonable query, "Do you guys make quiche?  Do you have any tricks or tips?"  I just tallied the 30 responses to the chain, some of them classic Corey.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellie Corey
Sent: Wed, Oct 25, 2017 11:21 am
Subject: Quiche


Do you guys make quiche? Do you have any tricks or tips?

Jacqueline Corey wrote:
I have a great tip: buy them at costco.

Janecoreyholt wrote:
I never make them.  But I should, because I like eating them.  

Ellen Corey wrote:
Ditto

MB Corey  wrote:
never. but yum!

Ellie Corey wrote:
You have all been very helpful. 😜

 On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:36 AM, elllen corey wrote:
Happy to help you out xoxo 

 


this was all within about five minutes.
   
Jacquie jumped in with this:
Could someone please bring me some quiche? It really is so delicious. One of my teachers makes a mean quiche, we demand it at regular intervals. I think I've tried making it before but the recipe contained all sorts of automatic disqualifies and called for like 12 sticks of butter so I tried to make a healthy version and it tasted like shit. The broccoli quiche at costco is delish. 


to which I replied: 

It probably has 12 sticks of butter in it.

I am DEFINITELY making quiche tonight. I think I have frozen crusts in freezer. They might date back to  the bush administration but who cares right?
 
now do you understand how hard it is for me to get work done?

So guess what we had for dinner last night???  I am wondering what percentage of Corey women did the same.  It's so easy and delicious and you can basically clean out your fridge.  So here's how it went.

I extracted the ancient pie crusts from the freezer and let them sit for a bit.  I inventoried my fridge and found spinach, bacon, zucchini, fresh mozzarella, fresh parmesan and one lonely tomato.  And 8 eggs.   So I decided to make two quiches:  zucchini, bacon & parmesan, and tomato, mozzarella & spinach.
First I cooked up some bacon and chopped it. 
 Then I sliced thin and sauteed two zucchini in olive oil, salt & pepper about ten minutes, until tender.
 I chopped them up a little bit then dumped in pie crust with three pieces of chopped, crisp bacon.
I added about 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
 
Meanwhile, let's go to pie #2
 I chopped up the mozzarella.
 added a chopped tomato
 Then I chopped and sauteed a big bunch of spinach.  I would have done more if I had it.
I dumped the wilted spinach on top of the cheese and tomato.
 I mixed 8 eggs with about 1-1/2 cups 2%milk and a good dose of half-and-half.  I would have used whole milk if I had planned ahead, but, um.... 
Mix well.
 Pour over each veggie situation.
 Cook at 350 for about an hour, until eggs in center are set.  
Check at 45 minutes - the zucchini quiche took about ten minutes less than the spinach one.

 And there you have it!  
YUMMMMM.  They were both delicious, although I'll give the nod to the zucchini numba.

When Dylan got home from football he asked, as he always does, What's for dinner?  I replied, excitedly, QUICHE!  Now,  Dylan loves my cooking (I was reading the food section while we were eating and saw all these great recipes and said, out loud, wouldn't it be great to  have a chef? and he said, "I kinda do.")  He responded to my enthusiasm with what I can only describe as skepticism.  I explained that my sisters and I had been emailing about quiche so, naturally, I had to make it that night.  He said, in his monotone way, "why were you and your sisters emailing about quiche?"  I explained. He replied, "I'm generally not a huge fan of quiche."  "Really? Why?"  "Whenever I go to a brunch I'm so excited about a big meal and they always serve quiche and I'm like, I don't want quiche, I want waffles."    
Love that kid.  And he loved the quiche.



4 comments:

  1. This is *everything*. All the things.

    My personal quiche-fest is this afternoon. I've been looking forward to it for days. As you know.

    Love *so* much.

    Your inspiration,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just simply the BEST Dear Dear Jane! I love reading your posts and they always leave me with a warm and happy - filled to the brim heart! God gave us a treasure when he gave us you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quiche and those both look delicious - something not even a hardcore waffle lover could fail to love 😄

    ReplyDelete