Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Recipe Box

Do you have a recipe box?

I do.  It's 25 years old, and it's fantastic. 
 
This was given to me as a bridal shower gift by Doug's Aunt Diane Dalberg.  Diane is an artist and a calligrapher and she hand-wrote dozens and dozens of family recipes and presented me with this box all those years ago.  Isn't that such a sweet gift?

To be honest, I reach for my phone or iPad more than I do the box, or physical cook books these days, and many of these recipes call for ingredients that have fallen out of favor (shortening, margarine, cream of anything soup..,)  but there are some treasures in there. I reached for it the other night looking for a grilled salmon recipe I knew was in there, and got lost looking at some of these recipes.  It's a lovely gift and a  food history, of sorts, of the Holts' extended family.



 

 Here's what I was looking for:
My recipes  don't look as pretty as Aunt Diane's.  
Illegible, as usual, but this is a delicious and easy way to prepare grilled salmon.  I remember this recipe was given to me in a mom's group I joined in the city when Corey was a year old and I had just found out I was pregnant with Noah!    It holds up.

 Salmon Steaks with Lemon Mustard Sauce
Whisk together in a small bowl:
1 ttsp paprika
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp mayo
2 Tbsp dry white wine
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper.



 Grill four, six-ounce salmon steaks.  Or one large fillet.  1 1-inch thick individual portion takes about 8 minutes to cook, grilled over medium heat, flipping once.  
Let them rest about five minutes loosely covered with foil.  Then serve with generous dose of sauce.  
It's really good.

1 comment: