Thursday, December 22, 2016

The thankful issue

What I am thankful for this season:

My beautiful, magical, amazing kids.  Who are no longer kids.  Who I am in awe of.  Who are a gift, pure and simple.


My sweet, supportive, smart, goofy, lovable husband.  Who I am so lucky to still love and be loved by, 25 years later.

My family.  Fun, smart, supportive, hilarious.  I won the lottery twice.



Hubble.  I love my dog.  And he loves me more than any living creature on earth.  That's pretty awesome.

I am also thankful for
Music - transportive, restorative, gratifying, moving.  And we formed a band this year!

Wine & coffee:  my life would be infinitely bleaker without these two liquids.

CrossFit.  My posse.  They who motivate me to get out of bed at 5:08 every morning, guaranteeing a belly laugh and an insanely high heart rate by 6:30am.


The Dinner Table:  this season, more than any other, I value the simple, wonderful ritual of gathering around the table, everyone home and together.  I thank my parents for making family dinners a given.  I thank my family for enjoying the table we set and the food we put on it. I  love preparing meals for my family and friends because of that instant, satisfying reward.






My friends, many of whom are in the above pictures.  2016 was a bit of a beast.  I truly would not have gotten through it without their support, humor and well-timed cups of cheer.


And I am thankful for the gift in the manger.  It's such a bummer that Christians are often the ones who have sullied Jesus' reputation. He was such a radical, but a uniter, not a divider.  He called out hypocrites and promoted humility.  He defended the poor, the orphans, the widows, the dispossessed.  And women.  He preached mercy.  Compassion.  Forgiveness. Generosity. That no one was beyond hope or help.  That we are all equal.  He preached Love.

Peace and good will toward all.  Happiest of holidays to you and yours.






1 comment: