Friday, September 30, 2016

Fall, Friday, Football...

It's that time of year again!  Fall!  I love fall.  As I discussed last year, I think fall is my season - I love when the nights turn crisp and the  world starts turning a little inward and the smells and activities change.  Football games on Friday nights (Dylan) and Sunday afternoon (Bears.  Thank you for your sympathy.)

Cooking has been a little haphazard, I must confess.  Due to my previously discussed poor ability to cook for three, we have a lot of leftovers lately,  and leftovers have now become part of the rotation.   What a concept!  But this week I got myself in the kitchen a few times.

As an aside, poor Dylan is now directly under the kitchen-table spotlight, both literally and metaphorically.  There are upsides:  I think he likes having the basement and the bathroom all to himself, but dinners are, well, QUIET.  He's in that reticent teenager phase and Doug and I really have to draw conversation out of him.  But draw we do!  We persevere!  Remember conversation questions?  Well, they're baaaaaack.  The other night I made us engage in that beloved dinnertime activity, and it was a hoot.  Dylan asked about my transition, as a kid, to being an only child.  I informed him I was the fifth (he: you were?), so was never an only child, but regaled him with tales of Jacquie and me being a junior and senior,  the last two at home,  and inheriting Mary Beth's sky-blue AMC Pacer when she moved to Manhattan.  I had to pull up some photos of Pacers - he was duly stunned and impressed. 
I asked Doug and what instrument he regrets giving up as a kid (cello.)  (He gave up many.)  Doug asked Dylan about his Chem/Phys class.  Anywho - in addition to the scintillating dinnertime conversation, we ate some yummy fall  food.



Cauliflower and Zucchini Soup
Last night was a cold and rainy night.   I got home and looked in the fridge and I had a ton of veggies and no plan, so decided to make some class of veggie soup.  We were heavy on Zucchini and Cauliflower so, voila!

I pan roasted 3 chopped zucchini and a head of chopped cauliflower with some olive oil, salt & pepper.  About a half hour on 400.  
 

 Then I sauteed a chopped onion and some garlic. 

 I added some chopped potatoes to give the soup some oomph.  Brought to a boil with 6 or so cups of chicken broth.  Then let that simmer for half hour or so, while the veggies roasted. 

 I added the veggies back to the pot and threw in some crushed red pepper and a ton more fresh ground pepper and some kosher salt. 
 

 Then pureed it a bit with the hand blender. 
 It was good!  Next time I might add some cumin or curry to give it a little more depth, and for sure some more crushed red pepper.  But it was filling and yummy and both veggie-rich and filling. 

Also this week: 
which I spelled out for y'all last year.

And last weekend we had a dinner party and served: 
Grilled  Chicken & Steak with  Chimichurri
 I know, you're sick of me posting this recipe.  I know!  But, see, you MUST make it.  You must!  It is the best thing ever.  I promise. And takes 5 minutes.  Please make a list and go to the store.  
You're welcome.  
Happy Fall!!


Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce

Skirt Steak - trimmed - about 1/2 lb/person.  I used almost 6lbs for 10 people. 4 min per side.
(this sauce is also amazing on grilled chicken breasts - just pound them out, salt & pepper them and grill 4 min/side)  When the meat is resting, smother in chimichurri.  Serve with more on side.

Melissa d'Arabian's Chimichurri - I doubled this recipe. 
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbsp onion, finely chopped
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 4 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
  • Red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 2/3 cup olive oil

1 comment:

  1. The Pacer was MB's car? I always thought Mom and Dad bought it for you Littles whenst you were all in high school. *That* was an awesome car. Seated six with room to spare. Bring back the Pacer!

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete