Tuesday, May 12, 2015

old and new

May is the new December.   This is a crazy time of year, particularly when one is starting a new job, has a daughter who just finished up her first year of college, a junior gearing up for college apps and an 8th grader who is about to graduate.  And my sister is getting MARRIED this week!!  So forgive me for not cooking much.    So let's get back to food, shall we?

Last week's menus.  Some old and some new. 

Sunday:  chick pea pumpkin stew.  I rarely cook vegetarian.  When I do, everyone seems to be starving again in an hour, so I avoid it, but this recipe looked pretty good. So I tried it.  The verdict: a lot of work and mediocre-tasty, but if veggie is your thing and you like a moroccan flair, it's worth a try.









 Then, mid week we did the traditional and ever popular BAKED ZITI.  Yum.  Thaw or make some homemade sauce, cook up some ziti, mix a container of cottage cheese with two eggs and a cup of mozzarella, mix it all together, spread in a 9x13 and add a ton more sauce and parmy on top.  Cook covered in foil for  30 or so at 350, then 10 more without foil.  



Then lastly, I tried another new recipe, this one a mexican salsa soup.  It was DELISH.  But warning, do NOT use the extra spicy habanero salsa you have on hand and might use for chips.  Homigod.  Corey asked me if I made a deal with the devil when I cooked it.   But besides that, a definite winner.

 Heat up a little oil then add a jar of your favorite salsa.  heat for two minutes or so.

 add 4-5 cups chicken broth.  heat to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.
 Grill and cut up some chicken - about 2 cups cubed.


Add 1-1/2 cups frozen corn kernels & a can of drained and rinsed black beans.
Heat for 20 minutes or so, until all is hot and mixed and yummy.

Add some cilantro and avocado cubes and tortilla chips.

Bon Apetit!!

1 comment: